The Water Fountain

I brought my friend over to a park near my house to play basketball. We'd brought some water but it soon ran out, so he went to get some from a fountain nearby.

A couple days earlier I was at the park by myself, practicing, and a man came to exercise a bit and play fetch with his dog, a female German Shepherd named Roxanne. Eventually he became thirsty and went to the same fountain, followed closely by his dog. After he helped himself, he just let her go to town, lapping up as much water as she could take, for at least two minutes. Later she got some more.

I should mention I saw her nibbling at one of the many dog turds lying around that place while her owner was stretching. Imagine what she does at home.

I remembered all this just before my friend bent his head down to the stream. I tried to warn him, but I was just too busy laughing.